Caries Prevention Programme: new blog from Dr Jodie Fulton
‘Caries’ is another name for dental decay and with our screening programme, we sometimes find areas of active dental decay. This is concerning as although we can restore these teeth with fillings, it doesn’t address the cause of the dental decay.
Our ‘Caries Prevention Programme’ aims to do just this; address the cause, not just treat the symptoms.
There are many ways in which we can decrease our risk of dental decay including meticulous oral hygiene and plaque control, modifying our diet to reduce sugar frequency and levels, and the effective use of fluoride.
We are in control of our own dental future.
The aim of this prevention programme is to involve you. The success of this treatment can only be determined by you but is supported by our team at Cherrybank.
We aim to stop the disease process and prevent further damage to your teeth and mouth. This treatment should be kept painless and stress-free as possible.
The programme requires 2 visits spread over approximately 1 month. You will be asked to complete a diet analysis form for a complete week prior to visit.
- Plaque score to assess level of plaque present on your teeth
- Assess genetic factors and risks
- A streptococcus mutans (bacteria) count of the plaque on your teeth
- Salivary buffer tests to determine how effectively your saliva can neutralise the harmful acids and bacteria in your mouth
- Analysis of your diet
- Fluoride treatment
In the interim, you will be given the following therapeutic agents:
- 0.2% Chlorhexidine mouthwash
- Sugar-free chewing gum
- 0.2% fluoride mouthwash
- Fluoride trays for home treatment
- Review your diet
- Repeat a plaque score
- Repeat the streptococcus mutans count
- Update and advise on new developments and treatments available
- Set up your next maintenance appointment
The cost of this programme is £426 which includes all homecare products and therapeutic agents. This is part of our commitment to excellence.
If you would like to find out more about the Caries Prevention Programme at Cherrybank and how it could work for you, call us on 01738 481 519
Alternatively, you can contact our expert dental team via an online consultation, where you can find out:
- If we can help you
- What your treatment options are
- An idea of costs
Last updated October 8th, 2019